May 16, 2016

Book Review: The Wedding Photographer by Sakshama Puri Dhariwal


 It's been a while since I read fiction and when I came across the synopsis of this book, I was intrigued. First, the title. I know an acquaintance of mine who does wedding photography and her work is amazing. Capturing the candid moments as the couple enters an important phase in life must be challenging but interesting too. So I was curious to know how they work and capture such brilliant pictures.

I got a good glimpse into their work through the life of the protagonist Risha Kohli. A good person at heart, cheerful, confident and passionate about her work. Through a chance encounter, she gets to meet Arjun Khanna - rich, talented, business guy who generally feels out-of-place in his world. How these two characters meet, fall in love and deal with their setbacks form the crux of this story.

I loved how the author has built Risha's character through specific incidents in the storyline that not only move the story forward but also elevates the character. The first section where Risha and Arjun meet and the events leading upto it were funny and witty. Once the Punjabi wedding part begins, it started to feel like a Karan Johar movie (due respect to him, I love some of his movies), especially the grand sets and costumes. The part with the nani character and her broken English gave a good laugh. As the wedding events progress, Risha and Arjun come close and realize their love for each other.  Up until this point, I loved how the story progressed.

I felt the third section where they face a certain setback could have been dealt with better. Love is built on trust and understanding. I couldn't accept Arjun breaking up with Risha without giving her a chance to explain herself. Also, the solution that solved the work-related issue that was bothering Arjun a lot is not really believable. I like all-is-good kind of endings and so towards the end, everything works out fine for the couple.

An easy read, funny and romantic - a good story for a Saturday afternoon. Monsoon is on its way, so save this book for a rainy day.

P.S. The book was sent to me by Flipkart as part of their "bloggers initiative". The review is my honest and unbiased feedback of the book.

Blog Archive

All contents copyrighted by Anuradha Sridharan, 2023. Don't copy without giving credits. Powered by Blogger.